Tuesday, April 13, 2010

"The vow that binds too strictly snaps itself." Those are the words of Alfred Lord Tennyson, and the words that Tiger Woods should have been pondering before he spewed his verbal hysterics on Sunday, on the golf couse, with hundreds of people around to hear it all.


You know, listening to his tirade sure set a great example for all the kids out there who's parents are trying to teach them concepts like "good sportsmanship" and "graceful loosing." And listening to him drag the name of Jesus through the mud and sling it to the wind in a foot-stomping hissy fit was over the top offensive to me. But all that verbal screeching told me alot more about Mr. Woods.

See, I was one of those people who listened to his "speech of apology" after his multiple of escapades in infidelity. I was one of those people who decided he was sincere and sorry and that he'd "seen the light," and "came to his senses," and realized how very, VERY wrong he had been. I thought, HEY! Joe Public! Give this guy a break. He's turning over a new leaf. How refreshing for a person to come to grips with what they'd done wrong and finally own up to something and decide to live the rest of their life being an upright, honest, good person. (Well, at least TRYING!)

On top of that, he made public promises to never shout or rage or throw his golf clubs ever again on the range. He's got a good handle on all that. It's part of the "new page" in his life. He's going to be a quiet, calm, even sanguine individual that everyone will love.

Then on Sunday he goes to the golf course and cusses up a blue cloud. His "I've changed" speech meant nothing.

When I read all this, it brought to mind the heart-wrenching, forgive-me-I'll-never-do-it-again speech he made to the world about his battle with infidelity. That speech immediately became complete fabrication in my eyes. I can no longer believe this guy. And therein lies the problem.

Not the fact that he didn't keep the promises he made (which we've all been guilty of sometime in our past), but that he made promises he couldn't keep. As a result, no one can believe his word now. If he says he's going to be a different golfer, and it turns out he isn't, he can't be believed. His word is no good. BUT. You have to ask yourself how much of what he says is actually believable. All? Part? What part? Is it easier to try to determine what part of his words are truth or is it easier to chalk all his words up as lies? I suppose you have to determine that yourself. But if you DO decide to try to separate the truth from the lies, you're left with the delemma of HOW to do it. And the CONSEQUENCES of being incorrect.

Here's an analogy for anyone with kids. Which would you say to your child: "I might make cookies for dessert later." OR "I WILL make cookies for dessert later." Now, something comes up and you don't bake the cookies. Watch what happens.

As for me, I find it easier to pepper my conversations liberally with, "maybes," and "perhapes," and a few, "I can't make any promises." That way, anything I DO say, no matter how insignificant, people can believe and take to the bank. After all, George MacDonald said it all..."Few delights can equal the mere presence of one whom we trust utterly."

No comments:

Post a Comment